Kirk confesses his love for Spock

I was on the Kirk/Spock fanpage on Facebook, and I noticed this post:

"There is a detailed account of the filming of this episode in the 1975 book Star Trek Lives! Co-author Joan Winston had the opportunity to spend six days on the set while "Turnabout Intruder" was being shot. Winston wrote that Shatner was very ill with the flu at the time, and had considerable difficulty in picking up and carrying Sandra Smith, the actress who played Dr. Lester, for take after take. Winston also recalled many amusing anecdotes that took place during the shooting. For example, William Shatner flubbed the line, "Spock, give it up. Come back to the Enterprise family. All charges will be dropped. And the madness that overcame all of us on Camus II will fade and be forgotten." Instead, he blurted out, 'Spock, it's always been you, you know it's always been you. Say you love me too.' "

...I had a huge fangirl attack when I read this. First I thought "Now, now...this can't be true...it's way too good to be true," but then I did some Googling. I found that passage that I copied+pasted on Memory Alpha which is, from what I understand, a reliable source of information. I find this line-flubbing totally freakin' amazing, but as an actress myself, I don't think I'd ever confess my love to someone when trying to cover for a missed line, sick or not. I've definitely been sick on stage before and let me tell you it's not fun, but I've never given a full-on love confessional to a co-actor before. Juuuuust sayin'...

3 comments:

dave said...

why cant it be true, they are both very funny guys.. if true, I dont think he meant it :o)

Anonymous said...

I don't doubt that it's true but I doubt it was a flub. Shatner and Nimoy clowned about like that on the set quite often. And both were aware of the ambiguous subtext of their charaters' relationship. The audience was supposed to wonder a bit about it's real nature.

AceLice said...

"The audience was supposed to wonder a bit about it's real nature."

Rightfully. >:D