Gene's Vision

I posted this on SeeTrekLove, but I thought that I should repost it here, because every word of it that I say is straight from my heart.

Ever since I first read Gene's quote, I have always thought that at the time he was maybe too afraid to admit that Kirk and Spock's relationship was more than just a good friendship, and if he admitted it was true love that maybe it would taint the name of Star Trek as everyone knew it and send homophobic Trekkies throwing spears and torches at him. I don't think Kirk/Spock was a mistake made by Gene. I don't think it was like "Oh oops..I did make them seem rather in love, didn't I? That wasn't what I was trying to do!" Gene never flat out said "No. They're just friends. Nothing more." He always left the possibility of them being lovers out there. We all know how compassionate and open-minded Gene was, how he truly wanted to boldy go where no man has gone before. An interracial kiss was the breaking of the first barrier. Perhaps he was trying to break barriers with Kirk/Spock? Maybe all along, he wanted this fandom, Kirk/Spock, to really come into existence! "Imagine, a whole group of fans dedicated to my hidden vision?"

What I love about the true love between Kirk and Spock is that it's there, and it's hidden under the surface of it all, the facade of just another Sci-Fi TV show. Here I go, being metaphorical: We're the people who can dive underneath and see it all. The people who disapprove of K/S just can't swim.

No comments: